You are excited to support your team and pleased when they support you. Babylist is looking for a Help Desk Engineer to join our Corporate IT Team. This team is responsible for the systems and endpoints that all employees use on a daily basis. And even if your team takes the help desk approach, having a tool that helps you keep track of what issues come up and who is solving them is crucial. With a dedicated help desk tool, your IT team can be more transparent, collaborative, and efficient.
Employment of help desk technicians and computer support specialists is expected to increase by 9% from 2020 to 2030, just about inline with the 8% average for all occupations. Demand for help desk technicians will rise as organizations continue to implement the latest and greatest computer systems to reduce long-term costs and foster a competitive advantage. However, job growth for help desk technicians will be tempered as cloud computing continues to increase the productivity of technical support solutions, thus requiring less man-hours and personnel to accomplish the same tasks. Remote help desk technicians often use specialized help desk support software to take control of end-users’ computers to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve complex issues. Demand for help desk services will increase as more organizations provide their customers with online access to products and services. Help desk engineers will be needed to support these online systems and troubleshoot when problems arise.
Requirements and skills
Mike Meyers, the Industry’s leading authority on CompTIA Certifications has created a series of 2 courses on Udemy to help learners pass the CompTIA A+ Certification. Mike has been involved in the computer and network repair industry since 1987 as a technician, instructor, author, consultant, and speaker.
- A service desk can definitely help you resolve your printer issues, but it will also look at your current setup and make improvements to promote business efficiency.
- The Google IT Support Professional Certificate program recently secured a credit recommendation from the American Council on Education ACE CREDIT®, which is the industry standard for translating workplace learning to college credit.
- Another characteristic that every help desk technician should have is the ability to pay attention to detail.
- Information engineers are known to earn higher educational levels when compared to help desk engineers.
- I was going to go the self taught route but I came across their website and it seemed like a cost effective alternative.
- While the scope of ITSM is broad, service desks and help desks are much more narrowly defined, and only represent smaller pieces of ITSM.
Let’s look at the service desk support analyst role, including typical responsibilities. You can learn to successfully protect a computer network and gain useful skills in risk management, cybersecurity, and cryptography with Alison’s free online Network and Security courses. They have computer networking classes that teach about LANs and WANs as well as introduce the network architecture and protocols used in security.
Description Of a Senior Infrastructure Engineer
It’s true that the distinction can feel a little nitpicky, so we’ve tried to make it clearer by walking through all of the differences between them below. The median salary and wage for computer support specialists are $54,760 per year and $26.33 per hour (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics ). If you’re excited to be part of a winning team, XYZ Inc. is a perfect place to get ahead. Help help desk engineer desk technicians are vital to the IT workforce, as they keep the technologies that organizations rely on to do business up-to-date and running smoothly. As businesses focus more on customer experience, Help Desk Engineers will need to focus on providing excellent service. The employment of help desk engineers is expected to grow much faster than average over the next decade.
- IT help desk certifications mainly include college courses or apprenticeships.
- BMC works with 86% of the Forbes Global 50 and customers and partners around the world to create their future.
- Computer programs rely on passwords and tight security controls to protect the information stored in the system.
- There are also usually strong links to problem and change management processes.
In general, senior infrastructure engineers reach similar levels of education when compared to help desk engineers resumes. Senior infrastructure engineers are 4.0% more likely to earn their Master’s Degree and 0.2% less likely to graduate with a Doctoral Degree. In general, senior infrastructure engineers make a higher salary in the hospitality industry with an average of $123,360.
Technical support dives a little deeper and is used for more complicated issues requiring more comprehensive technical knowledge. While a formal education may help you get the job, a college degree is not necessary to become a help desk technician. IT certifications will prove that you have the skills to handle the job. CompTIA A+is a widely recognized certification held by help desk technicians. This article is part of an IT Career News series called Your Next Move. These articles take an inside look at the roles related to CompTIA certifications. Each article will include the responsibilities, qualifications, related job titles and salary range for the role.
- Many companies require new technical staff to begin at the service desk before moving into other technical areas of a company.
- It uses ticketing services that assign customers to the right person to help.
- This trait is highly appealing to businesses; almost every firm wants to hire people who are lifelong learners.
- At FieldEngineer, we vet all our IT help desk engineers according to skills and certifications, ensuring we find you the right person for the job.
We calculated that 11% of Help Desk Engineers are proficient in Technical Support, Troubleshoot, and Active Directory. They’re also known for soft skills such as Customer-service skills, Listening skills, and Speaking skills. Upgraded backup systems, disaster recovery plans, managed server moves, upgrades and changes.
Help Desk Technician Interview Questions
We’ve found that most help desk engineer resumes include experience from Booz Allen Hamilton, Endsight, and Alene Candles. Of recent, Booz Allen Hamilton had 5 positions open for help desk engineers. Meanwhile, there are 5 job openings at Endsight and 2 at Alene Candles. Support technicians rely on advanced software in order to offer more efficient customer service. Core IT help desk software features include IT ticket management and risk detection.